March 22, 2011

The quest for the cosmetic brush.



A couple of years ago I launched a beauty blog, back when I was in my twenties, feeling high on life, feeling beautiful, dressing trendy and all in all just feeling really great about myself! Then I got pregnant, had the most precious child brought into my life, Emma and my beauty meter went down went ka-put! I quasi relaunched the site after I had my daughter, and then lost the spark again. I do however, LOVE beauty products, fashion, hair, and overall looking and feeling your best.

A dear friend of mine asked me months ago to describe to her what each of the cosmetic brushes were all about, because lets be honest, there are a lot of them. I do not feel inclined to resurrect the "beauty" blog.... But, what I can do, if you enjoy this post is maybe write about it more often.

Here is my disclaimer on the brushes, I don't know what their technical name is, nor do I really care, but, I can tell you what I use each one for.


Powder brush: this brush is a much fluffier brush; with lots of bristles. It is round and will usually take up the palm of your hand when you wrap it around the brush. I use this brush to put on powder makeup. You can use it with loose or pressed powder. It will work for using powder as foundation or using loose powder to set your makeup.







Lip Brush or eye liner brush: When applying eye liner and you want to smudge or give the eye a sultry look you can use this brush. Another use for this brush is the lips. You can apply lipstick or lip liner with this brush.






Eye brushes: Eye brushes can be the most overwhelming. Hopefully, you can see the brushes pretty clearly in this picture enough to compare them. the one to the far back (light brown wood and black), has a round brush and a pointed tip. I use this brush for the crease of my eye. The second one in (the silver one) is completely round. I use this for a base color from eye lashes to eye brow. Like a base for the eyes. The third one is pretty much the same shape as the second one. At least that is how I use it, it hangs out in my brush collection. The last one is much smaller than the others. It is flat with rounded bristles. I use this brush for the inside crease of my eye. I hope that helps clarify the eye brushes. I know there are some people that use each of these everyday; I do not, I just like to keep it simple, one light color on the base of the eye with the silver one and done!

Remember to wash your brushes at least once a week with mild soap and water and use your fingers to pull them back together into their original shape, air dry standing up with the bristles standing up in the air.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.



5 comments:

  1. Thanks, D! I will definitely start using mine properly. Sorry, kids, no more back-up brushes for water colors...Mama knows how to use them now!
    ~Dear Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. those eye brushes are so pretty. makes me want some new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, well if you are going to spend money on brushes; spend a little more to get a better quality so they bristles don't fall out on you and they will last for a long time! My favorite brushes are Clinique. They are super soft. They will change your entire makeup experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your beauty posts! I always forget to wash my darn brushes..thanks for the reminder! Also, I guess I should stop letting Jonah use my natural hair brushes to "pet" Barley. :(
    ~Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristina, first off you should know that you just made me do the biggest loud belly laugh! Thank you! I wouldn't want to take away any fun from Jonah so just be sure to wash.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete