June 18, 2010

It's in the DNA

So, in the last two weeks, I have had nose surgery, and been hosting my baby sister who is 18 for the first time ever at my house. And by first time ever; it pretty much applies to everything! My baby sister I have known about sense she was born however; things happened that I am not aware of and I have never asked about and next thing you know our biological father dies and we officially meet for the first time, three years ago. Since this time we have talked on email, social networks and text messages; however there has been no opportunity for us to spend quality time together and really get to know one another. Sadness. However, here we are in present day and she is here! At my HOUSE! Spending weeks at a time with me! I have to say that she is not at all what I was expecting based on previous conversations with her and text messages.

Here is why, she is shy, a bit guarded, and comes across as very soft spoken, so trying to get to know a teenager who lives in another state via text message or a social networking site is a bit hard, especially when all you know about each other our dad just died.... oh, were to start.... Shortly after our dad died I was pregnant - fast forward to pregnancy brain, then I had a child, fast forward to even more craziness and next thing you know Emma is now 18 months old and Shelby is now 18... wow! I also did not know what her mom wanted me to share with her or what she did, my fault I should have addressed those boundaries sooner, but oh well, that is in the past now. moving forward!

So, Shelby! Let me just tell you, NOT soft spoken at all. Very direct, opinionated, and knows what she wants. Likes expensive things and is very expensive! Good lord is this child expensive! WOW! I had no idea! I am sure most teenagers are expensive; but this teen, really takes the cake! But what makes it OK, is she will tell you; yea, I like expensive things. What makes it comical is that she is from now where land Oklahoma! HAH! Our first trip into Austin, she was just looking around and soaking it all in like a 3 month old who is just starting to see color. She also has a very great sense of humor and a lot of nievity.

Who does this remind me of..... ME! Shelby is totally me before college! Well, and most aspects are still present today... Hah, but wow, who would have thought that two siblings raised in two very different families and don't know each other end up so similar. Shelby told me the other day, "It's in the DNA". She is totally right. I am crazy about my little sister, I was a little worried wondering what we would talk about or what we would have in common.... She is too cute, and pretty sweet most of the time, but she will try and trick you if she can. Some of the best times I have had since she has been here is watching her interact and play with Emma, Emma totally adores her.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I'm so glad you are getting to really know her :)

    ReplyDelete