May 14, 2010

my hands go where?

Ok, so a couple of months ago I had to take defensive driving.... ok, not because I was required to for purposes of dismissing a ticket, but for the insurance discount, those who know me, know that I get into a finder bender every now and again... and I needed to bring down our premiums that 10%.

So, when I was watching my videos I was shocked completely by something. I was taught to drive with my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. It is not like I learned to drive 50 years ago, it was only 15 years ago. Since I have learned to drive they have concluded that holding your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel is now considered potentially dangerous. why? Because of the airbags.... who knew! If your airbag deploys and your hands are in that position, it will send your hands flying right up into your face. So, you might be thinking hands would be far better than airbag right? I am not expert, but bone hitting bone in my book probably not the best alternative.

So, the new recommendation for hand placement on the steering wheel is, wait for it..... 9 and 3! In this case if the air bag was to deploy it would push your hands out and down rather than up with less of a possibility of trapping your arms/hands between you and your body.

However, they do still recommend holding your hands where you are comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's crazy! Well usually I drive with one hand that's around 4...or maybe 2...Hmm. Will take this into consideration. Gracias ;)

    ReplyDelete