May 25, 2010

Very delicately put....

So last week I was seeing a doctor for my deviated septum and he asked me if I snore… Well, yea, I told him. Quickly following up with but my husband snores far louder! HAH! How do I know that!?!!! HAH! Very funny, I keep getting a chuckle out of that rebuttal. So the doctor asked; "well did you snore before you had your daughter? " Ummm… "yea, I believe so, I don't recall it happening quite so often or waking my husband up." Then he very politely asked me how much I weighted before I had my daughter. "I only weighted 130", he looked down at my information… "And now you weigh 162"… gulp. "yes, sir." UGH! So, he follows up with very soft tone, and very politely, "Danielle, you have to lose 20-30 pounds, this will not only improve your snoring issues, but will help you be more alert during the day." So, that was that, we talked about me having surgery on my deviated septum which is not really an option at this point since I am apparently not allergic to anything in the freaking world! So, I thanked him for the information and headed out.

A few days later, here I am gearing up to focus on my big weight loss. Sitting at the heaviest I have ever been in my life at 162…. Yes, part of it is weight that I gained from being pregnant with my adorable peanut and I would not have it any other way. But there is "this rule" that I have been told; if you keep it for longer than a year, it is yours to keep…. So, here I am 17 months later still carrying all this extra baggage. A year ago I was not mentally prepared to take on the challenge of weight loss. Now, with my head on straight, running after a toddler and a very support husband, I think we can make a good go of this! Thirty pounds would put me back at my fighting weight in college. No, literally, in college I was on the Texas A&M Tae Kwon Do team (whoop!) and my weight class was Middle weight.

What is my plan? Good question, I downloaded an application for my iphone called My Net Diary. I am going to log my meals, snacks, drinks and I am also going to log my exercise. Most of my day is spent sitting at a desk that would put my activity level as sedentary. That activity level makes an even bigger challenge to tackle.

Goals:

  1. Increase activity level to thirty minutes – three times a week
  2. Decrease calorie intake to 1600 calories per day
  3. Stop putting creamer in my coffee (since I usually use as much creamer as coffee this is a huge calorie buster for me!)
  4. Stop eating small unhealthy snacks that add up to big calories by the end of the day
    1. For example… one bite is not going to hurt anything…..
  5. Increase water intake to at least three cups of water a day (8 oz)
  6. Take at least two walks a day while at work – anyone is welcome to join me on this ;-)

Tips:

  • You are not supposed to consume more than TWO soda's a month!! – either diet or fully loaded
    • I gave up soda back in February and I have not had any desire to pick them back up J
  • One pound is equal to 3500 calories

That means I have to burn 3500 calories a week to lose one pound! L

3 comments:

  1. WHAT?! Two sodas a MONTH?! Are you kidding me? Geez louise.

    Ok. So....we missed our morning walk. That is fine. But we must walk this afternoon! If we can do that daily, even for just 15 minutes, that is 1 hr and 15 minutes a WEEK of activity. Just throw in some extra at home. The water thing is doable. And you have ice at work!

    YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess! Yes, all very doable! Walking will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - you can do it, D!!! Because you're awesome like that!

    ReplyDelete